T hursday afternoon we saw these two tweets come across one of our TweetDeck feeds:
Here’s the story: Matthew Bailey, a seventh grader from Iredell County, N.C., was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer earlier this year.
Soon after, a pastor from his church started looking for ways to make 10 of Matthew’s wishes come true.
- Throw a football with Cam Newton
- Play H-O-R-S-E with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan
- Tebow with Tim Tebow
- Play a pick-up game with Kevin Durant
- Meet Johnny Manziel
- Go to the NCAA Final Four
- Visit Cameron Indoor Arena, meet Coach K
- Sit courtside for a Miami Heat game
- Go to the Super Bowl
- Go to an NBA Finals game
When a Panthers’ representative heard about the list a few weeks ago, he reached out to Newton, who was immediately interested.
Since he’s recovering from ankle surgery, he couldn’t throw a football with Matt, but Newton worked with his foundation to set up Thursday’s meeting. A caveat: Newton didn’t want cameras or media attention.
Thanks to the tweets above, we have another example of Carolina’s quarterback truly caring about his community.
Share this Post