[vc_row no_margin=”true”][vc_column width=”1/1″]
Injured During Saturday’s Preseason Game
- DE Frank Alexander: Tore his Achilles tendon on the Dolphins’ fourth play from scrimmage. Will have surgery Tuesday and his season is over.
- C Ryan Kalil: Had his knee rolled up on during a series of plays near the goal line. Finished the series, but limped off and wound up with an ice bag on his left knee. Coach Ron Rivera wasn’t aware of Kalil’s injury afterward, but Panthers’ sideline reporter Jordan Gross mentioned it was a knee sprain during the second half of the broadcast.
- TE Richie Brockel: Was taken to the locker room shortly before the half with a left shoulder sprain.
- QB Cam Newton: Well, maybe. After his failed dive for the end zone in the second quarter, he appeared to have a slight limp when walking the sideline during the second half. But Newton, who usually plays coy when banged up, claimed there was nothing to add to his injury report: “It’s just the body’s sore from the rigors of camp. Nothing different than normal things.”
Did Not Dress
- CB Charles Tillman (groin): A surprise scratch. “We had a little bit of concern, so we didn’t want to play him.” — Rivera
- DB Colin Jones (groin): Same deal as Tillman.
- DT Kawann Short (back): Even though he practiced the last few days of camp, was held out again.
- DT Star Lotulelei (foot): Still in a walking boot, so he’ll likely be out at least another week.
- DE Charles Johnson (calf): Wouldn’t be surprising to see the Panthers keep their only dependable DE out another week.
- WR Devin Funchess (hamstring): Panthers are hopeful he’ll return to practice Monday.
- WR Kelvin Benjamin (knee): Will soon undergo surgery on his torn ACL.
- OT Nate Chandler (knee): Watched from the sideline with a wrap around his surgically repaired right knee.
- OL Amini Silatolu (calf): Hasn’t been on the field since Fan Fest.
- OT Davonte Wallace (concussion): Has missed both preseason games.
- CB Lou Young (hamstring): Doesn’t appear close to returning.