The Carolina Panthers made landing left tackle Matt Kalil their top free agent target, and according to a source, that deal will be made official after the new league year opens Thursday at 4 p.m.
The other big piece of the offensive line puzzle, as BBR reported last week, is the hope Michael Oher can come back from a concussion to slide over to right tackle.
Depending on a healthy Oher and an effective Kalil, who’s largely been a disappointment since Minnesota made him the 4th pick in the 2012 draft, certainly isn’t foolproof. But that’s the Panthers’ plan (along with Daryl Williams acting as insurance).
Kalil’s arrival will obviously be welcome news for his brother Ryan, who could find some fodder for one of his many off-the-field projects. And come Week 1, if Ryan’s at center and Matt’s at left tackle, they’ll be just the second brothers to start on the offensive line in the modern era.
Dave and Doug Widell became the first in 1990 with the Broncos. Three years later, Jay and Joel Hilgenberg shared some snaps with the Saints.
(UPDATE: Thurs., March 9, 3:05 p.m.)
#Panthers will sign left tackle Matt Kalil to a five-year, $55.5 million deal with $25 million guaranteed, source said.
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 9, 2017
Sure, that’s a steep price, especially for a guy who’s had just one solid season, but it’s the cost of doing business at left tackle. Plus, we still don’t know the most important number: How much is actually guaranteed at signing?
Brothers on the Same Regular Season Roster in the Modern Era
- 1960 — T Eldon and DE Bill Danenhauer (Broncos)
- 1962-63 — K Bob and DE Ed Khayat (Redskins)
- 1965 — DT Alex and OL Ted Karras (Lions)
- 1967 — DB Charles and DB Tony King (Bills)
- 1971-74 — DT Merlin and DT Phil Olsen (Rams)
- 1972-73 — DL Charlie and DL Rolf Krueger (49ers)
- 1973 — RB Mel and DB Miller Farr (Lions)
- 1974-75 — DT Larry and OL Robert Woods (Jets)
- 1975-76 — DL Bubba and DE Tody Smith (Oilers)
- 1976-80 — LB Dewey and DE Lee Roy Selmon (Bucs)
- 1978-82 — RB Archie and DB Ray Griffin (Bengals)
- 1983 — RB Jewerl and RB Ken Thomas (Chiefs)
- 1983-84 — WR Clarence and FB Robert Weathers (Patriots)
- 1984-87 — LB Jim and T Keith Fahnhorst (49ers)
- 1986-87 — DB Glenn and DB Lyle Blackwood (Dolphins)
- 1986-88 — DL Gary and OL Rich Baldinger (Chiefs)
- 1987 — RB Chuck and DB Rod McSwain (Patriots)
- 1987 — LB Niko and LB Pete Noga (Cardinals)
- 1987 — NT John and C Stan Eisenhooth (Seahawks)
- 1987 — QB John and LB Keith Fourcade (Saints)
- 1990 — OL Brian and DL Gary Baldinger (Colts)
- 1990-92 — OL Dave and OL Doug Widell (Broncos)
- 1993 — C Jay and C Joel Hilgenberg (Saints)
- 1997 — DB Bennie and WR Brian Blades (Seahawks)
- 1997-99 — P Matt and LS Dan Turk (Redskins)
- 1998-99 — OL Eric and WR Randy Moss* (Vikings)
- 2000 — CB Darnell and CB Marquis Walker (Lions)
- 2000-01 — LB Darren and RB Troy Hambrick (Cowboys)
- 2001 — CB Dale Carter and WR Jake Reed* (Vikings)
- 2001-02 — WR Kevin and CB Andre Dyson (Titans)
- 2002 — CB Dale Carter and WR Jake Reed* (Saints)
- 2003 — FB Obafemi and LB Brendon Ayanbadejo (Dolphins)
- 2005 — DE Chris and DE Nic Clemons (Redskins)
- 2007 — LB Akin and DT Remi Ayodele (Cowboys)
- 2008 — CB Champ and LB Boss Bailey (Broncos)
- 2008-10 — QB Carson and QB Jordan Palmer (Bengals)
- 2008-11 — LB E.J. and LB Erin Henderson (Vikings)
- 2011 — TE Rob and TE Dan Gronkowski (Patriots)