- Earned a No. 1 seed for the first time in their 21-year history.
- Became just the seventh NFL team to win 15 games in the regular season.
- Finished with a league-best 500 points. That shatters a Carolina record for most points scored in a season (421, 1999).
- Scored 21 points off turnovers, upping their season total to 148. That sets a team record for most points scored off turnovers in a single season (128, 2005).
- Outscored opponents 148-32 off turnovers this season, converting their 39 takeaways into 17 touchdowns and 10 field goals.
- Rushed for 111 yards, the 27th straight time they’ve gained at least 100 on the ground. The last team to hit the century mark in as many games was the ’74-’77 Pittsburgh Steelers, who did it 43 times.
- Set a single-season team record with 357 first downs (347, 2014).
- Extended their league-best home win streak to 11 games.
- Won their sixth straight meeting against the Bucs, setting a new team record for longest streak in the series.
QB Cam Newton
- Totaled 393 yards, bringing his five-year total to 21,560. That breaks Peyton Manning‘s record (21,174) for most combined yards in a player’s first five seasons.
- Became the only player in NFL history to throw for at least 30 touchdowns and run for at least 10 scores in a single season.
- Scored two rushing touchdowns, upping his career total to 43. Newton is now tied with Hall of Famer Steve Young for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback since 1970. Young scored his 43 in 169 games. Newton has played just 78.
- Threw and ran for a touchdown in the same game for the 31st time in his career. That ties him with Young for most in NFL history.
- Finished one touchdown shy of Steve Beuerlein’s team record for most passing touchdowns in a season (36, 1999).
- Set a career high for most rushing attempts in a season (132).
- Scored his first touchdown since he had two for Auburn in its Outback Bowl loss to Wisconsin last January.
- Set career bests with seven receptions and 120 yards. The yardage is the second-most by Panthers’ rookie (David Gettis, 125, vs SF on 10/24/10).
- Continued his streak of scoring in odd-numbered weeks. Funchess’ touchdowns this year came in Week 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17.
- Picked up the Panthers’ first sack by a DE since Week 12.
LB Thomas Davis
- Likely passed or tied Mike Minter’s team record for most career tackles. According to press box stats, Davis had five tackles, the exact number he needed to reach Minter’s mark of 953. That record is based on what Panthers’ coaches tally off film, a process they’ll complete for the Bucs’ game later this week.
- Had seven tackles, his most since Week 3.
- Finished the year with 146 points, breaking John Kasay‘s team record for most in a season (145, 1996).
Coach Ron Rivera
- Improved to 4-2 in head-to-head matchups with his former boss, Lovie Smith.
- Went 1-for-2 on challenges. He led the league in challenges this season, winning 10 of his 15.
- Joined Newton and Indianapolis’ Andrew Luck as the only rookies in NFL history to throw for at least 4,000 yards.
- Threw six interceptions against the Panthers this season (4, Week 4; 2, Week 17).
RB Doug Martin
- Was held to 48 yards on 15 rushes. 30 of those yards came on one play. Martin gained 106 yards against the Panthers in Week 4.